Saturday, April 10, 2010

AWAY FROM HOME

Today more than ever I feel far away from home. My mind wanders through the wide streets of Warsaw's city centre. I walk down Nowy Świat and Krakowskie Przedmieście, I have some coffee, which keeps me warm - the spring day is bright but cool. I reach the Old Town, take a turn around the Saski Park, come back to Marszałkowska street and enter one of the shops. I renounce the heat and the sun, the sea views and the juicy green of the forest. I wish to feel the atmosphere of my city, I want a familiar language around me, I wish to be enveloped in the feeling that I belong, the sensation of sharing the past and the present with those surrounding me.

I want to share my country's mourning. This morning Poland lost nearly one hundred of its leaders, including the president. I will not pretend that I supported him - the truth is I wanted him as far away from the political life as possible. But this great tragedy makes me feel for him and his family, as well as for the families of all those who died. I am terribly sorry.

I do not want to give you a picture of the crashed plane. I upload a picture of sunny Warsaw instead. A picture from home.

Media about the plane crash:

No comments:

Post a Comment